The IMO has announced that member states have submitted seven names for election as the next secretary general of the UN body
For the first time the nominations include three women.
- Mr. Moin Uddin Ahmed (Bangladesh)
- Mr. Suat Hayri Aka (Türkiye)
- Mr. Arsenio Antonio Dominguez Velasco (Panama)
- Dr. Cleopatra Doumbia-Henry (Dominica)
- Mrs. Nancy Karigithu (Kenya)
- Ms. Minna Kivimäki (Finland)
- Mr. Zhang Xiaojie (China)
Kitack Lim’s tenure as secretary-general will come to a close at the end of the year, and election will take place in July this year at the IMO Council meeting in London.
The election of the next secretary general comes as a significant time in the organizations history. It has been tackling the issue of how to deal with shipping’s CO2 emissions for a number of year and is expected to decide an updated strategy and mid or long term measures for the industry this year. Whoever takes on the role will have to navigate a sensate diplomatic line between those nations seeking a more ambitious goal with those with a more cautious one.